Jack Thomas was appointed the first county court clerk when Grayson County was formed from parts of Hardin County and Ohio County in 1810. Somewhere between 1812 and 1814 he and his wife built the first brick house in Leitchfield (and also the county). It faced east on what is now Clinton Street. It had two rooms downstairs, with a loft above. Around 1925 a two-story addition consisting of two rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs, with a spacious entry hall and a beautiful walnut staircase to an upstairs hall, was added changing the entrance of the house to face on East Main Street. Later another two rooms were added upstairs in the back over the lower original two rooms.
Jack Thomas was clerk for the county for 41 years, at which time his son, Edwin, became the county clerk. After the death of Mr. Thomas, his wife continued to live in the house until her death in 1872. The house was then sold to William Evans, who ran a general store in Leitchfield. In 1884, the property was sold to George H. ("Bent") Gardner. Besides having served as sheriff and owning a steam flouring mill, Mr. Gardner was the founder and president of the Leitchfield Deposit Bank. Other owners of the property were Ralph McCoy, Lawrence Witten, Winnie Witten Jones, and Jackie Jones Barrier.
The Leitchfield Deposit Bank bought the property from Mrs. Barrier and scheduled the house to be torn down. The Historical Society then got involved and made arrangements with the bank to buy the house. With the help of the Leitchfield Woman's Club, the City of Leitchfield, Grayson County, and many other donors, the money was raised and the house was saved. After several years of renovation, the house was opened to the public. It was placed on the National Register of Historical Record and remains today a historical tourist attraction, as well as the Grayson County Historical Society's headquarters.